FAN MAIL (Financial Aid News), November 2023
November 16, 2023
- STUDENTS SEEKING FEDERAL AID for either Summer 2024, and/or Fall 2024/Spring 2025, should complete the 2024-2025 FAFSA which will become available a little later this year as compared to prior years due to the new FAFSA Simplification. It will become available in late December 2023 or January of 2024. (www.studentaid.gov).
- IF YOU HAVE AN UNPAID BALANCE (hold) on your student account, you will not be able to register for spring classes. Be sure to review your most recent bill/activity and pay any outstanding balance. This also helps you avoid costly finance charges.
- DO YOU SEE A REFUND-TITLE IV CHARGE ON YOUR ACCOUNT? This charge is from Accounts Receivable due to an ineligible Title IV charge on your account such as health insurance, parking, or bookstore purchases. A/R is depositing or mailing checks to the address on file. Simply return the refund by making a payment on your student account using the funds they sent. To correct this for the future and allow A/R to cover non-Title IV charges, please fill out the Title IV Release Form and send in to A/R (email address is on the form).
- SPRING SCHOLARSHIPS will disburse to students’ Tulane accounts on December 1, 2023 for students who are enrolled in at least ten credit hours for spring. (Part-time LLM credit hour requirement may vary).
- SPRING LOANS will disburse to students’ Tulane accounts on January 8, 2024 provided the student is enrolled at least half-time (five credit hours), fall grades are in, Satisfactory Academic Progress is met (SAP Policy), and any other requirements are completed. Federal aid is based on ten credit hours so if enrollment is less than that for some reason, please contact our office so aid can be adjusted. Most students are normally required to take at least ten credit hours.
- The first bill for spring will go out December 16, 2023 for those who are enrolled. The bill is due January 15, 2024.
- IF YOU ARE BORROWING SPRING LOAN FUNDS to pay for living expenses, your refund request can be submitted on or after January 5, 2024. Refunds will credit to your bank account during the week of January 8, 2024 (3-5 days after disbursement and refund request is in place).
- Intersession will take place January 8, 2024 through January 12, 2024 and tuition charges will be added to the spring bill. Financial Aid for the cost of it can be added to the Cost of Attendance and federal loans increased upon request. The cost of it will be $500. The deadline to drop Intersession to avoid the charge for it is Dec. 4. You must notify the Law School’s Academic Service Office to receive a 100% refund. The Financial Aid Office will contact those with federal loans in mid-December to see if a loan increase is desired. (Only available for 2Ls and 3Ls since Business Literacy Intersession was cancelled).
- Federal Loan Fees can be used to increase loans in most cases. These are federal fees that come out of loans prior to disbursement, and therefore can be added to your Cost of Attendance. This then increases your loan eligibility. If you would like to increase your loans to cover the cost of loan fees, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Increases to loans disburse to Tulane student accounts, and if a refund is requested, the increase is moved to your bank account.
- Holidays-If a loan increase is needed prior to the holiday break, please finalize your request to us by December 18th so it can be fully processed before the break.
- Health insurance questions can be directed to Campus Health at email@example.com or visit their website for detailed information. https://campushealth.tulane.edu/
- Financial Aid questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us at 504-865-5931. If there is no answer, leave a message because we’re on another line. This will come to our email accounts and we’ll reply as soon as possible. Please bear with us as we’re short-staffed.
Billing questions can be directed to Accounts Receivable at email@example.com .